Either you are a student or work at the office, one thing you have to do frequently is making a report. You might meet a lot of ashamed situations when doing that stuff. In this post, we will reveal the expectation versus the reality of report creation.
Report: Expectations vs Reality
1. Determine purpose
- Expectations: Obviously before making a report, you have to know what it should accomplish? Then you hope it is clear to understand your reports.
- Reality: But unfortunately, under many circumstances, members have to make monthly reports without no reason, just do it robotically.
2. Write to readers
- Expectations: You think you can target the person who will read this report. Then you hope that your audience will read your reports and easy to understand. Your word is professional and suitable for your readers.
- Reality: No, it is not like your expectation.
3. Proceed in an order
- Expectations: An ideal progress to make a report is that: do research, then write based on data, next summarize your business situation. Every stage is processed in a particular order.
- Reality: The order of progress are often disturbed. You might write a summary before going to details of the reports. Or maybe you ignore the research and conclusion steps. This totally makes your reports to be lack convincing.
4. Length of reports
- Expectations: Nobody wants a long report, which makes your reader, in particular, your boss, feel sleepy when reading it. Apparently, you also spend little time on writing a brief and concise report.
- Reality: you are not able to do that. If it is brief, then it will not have enough data to convince the audience. In another hand, your long reports with enough research data with explanations, then your readers have to spend much time to finish reading it. Furthermore, it often makes the readers feel sleepy.
5. Logic flow
- Expectations: You expect to lead the reader from the beginning to the end of your report.
- Reality: Sometimes the reports are so complicated that the reader cannot focus on what is said on those.
6. Appearance matters
- Expectations: Everyone wants to make an appealing report with a menu, orderly components, data, charts, images and so on. It can be presented as a beautiful slide with only charts.
- Reality: Everybody hates report, both writing and reading them. May it has a stunning appearance, it can attract the audience. Unfortunately, making visually appealing reports is not easy at all.
Have a look at this image below to have a summary of this comparison:
Here are several things listed about the expectation and the reality of reports. Hope you find it helpful, then Like, Share and Subscribe us to keep an update of the upcoming useful posts.
For more information, feel Free to contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org