If you are planning to build an app or a website, you definitely need to know the answer to this question – what are push notifications?
Push notifications are a staple in both mobile marketing and web marketing. It should be used by any content marketer running an online business. They allow you to always keep in touch with your audience. It’s thus of great necessity to understand what exactly they are and why you should care about them.
What Are Push Notifications?
Definition And Example
To make it short and sweet, push notifications are concise messages conveying some desired actions (normally clickable) sent from a webpage via browser to the device (desktop, smartphone, tablet, PC, etc.).
These permission messages make it easy for people to return to the website/ mobile app they already visited/opened. You probably have seen push notifications countless times in your life.
It may be a pop-up notification on your iPad informing there’s a new season of your favorite show, or notifications appear on your phone screen asking if you are still interested in a deal on Amazon. Either of these cases is a web push notifications example.
The term push notification sounds as old as time. The fact is, it has just been in use since 2001, which was first known as Push Service – a feature on Blackberry phones to quickly check your new email without having to go into your mailbox.
But not until 2009 when Apple introduced the so-called Push Technology (integrated with notification centers) it gained so much popularity as today. Push notification is now an important digital marketing tool that even has its own room in UX/UI design.
Text Messages Vs Push Notifications – Are They The Same Thing?
While seemingly having a lot of similarities, push notifications and text messages have nothing to do with each other.
A push notification plugin normally deploys a restricted character limit as the content has to be concise and straight-to-the-point. When you swipe or tap to open, notifications will lead you to the app or website while messages will direct you to the phone’s default messaging app.
Also, a push notification message is less likely to be considered as spam as users know exactly what they come from. They have a higher level of segmenting your audience, and the single click opt-in allows for better audience engagement.
Why Push Notification Is A Must For eCommerce
Increase Potential Subscription
Unlike paid ads to generate traffic (with which the conversion is less certain), push notifications make subscription easier and faster. Setting against email, push notifications also offer a much higher rate of subscription. And you can easily optimize the strategies to further increase the optin rates.
The opt-in/ opt-out dynamic also gives users total control over which app/ website they want to receive notifications. They can even choose specifically which type of notification they want/ do not want.
Leverage Engagement And Repeat Traffic
With push notifications, you can nurture the audience about your brand and start to build a foundation for their trust. It is then easier to re-engage customers to your offerings. Push notifications function in these four primary forms:
Trigger campaigns – When visitors check out certain products/posts and share them with their friends, website push notifications (or browser push notifications) can help to trigger the interest and engage the visitors instantly.
Drip feed notification – Web push notifications are predefined based on customer’s interest areas, current brand promotion policies, or re-engagement campaigns.
Segmentation – Push notifications can segment the subscribers based on geolocation, users mobile device, action, and purchase pattern.
Subscriber time zones – Push notifications are sent automatically as per the user’s timezone to ensure higher click-through rates.
Implement Conversion Rates
Push notifications are known as a popular and effective way to increase customer-based sales and bump up the conversion. And as compared with text message, push notification is a much more cost-efficient approach. They pop up on the device’s screen when users are active on the Internet.
Push notification service can also recover the lost revenue by reminding customers about their abandoned cart. When users already add the products to their cart and haven’t completed the payment, push notifications will act as a real push.
When it comes to running an eCommerce business, such a quality push notification app as Ecomfit should be the go-to choice. There is a myriad of plugins for browser notifications out there, but if you want something comprehensive, this is it. Below are Ecomfit key features:
- Recover abandoned cart – Avoid lost sales by having a tap to the customers about proceeding their payment. Besides the attempt to gain new sales, recovering abandoned carts is an excellent approach to boost the business.
- Offer discounts for newcomers – Treat and attract new visitors with an entry discount. This could be the very first step to start warming up the potential customers and initiate their loyalty to the business.
- Inform price drop – Send browser push or mobile push notification message to let subscribers know ASAP when there is any discount/ special offer
- Track shipping status – Keep users in close tracking with the shipping, allowing them to be more active while waiting for the delivery.
- Take care of loyal customers – Unlimited capability of sending relevant messages for follow-up/ special promotions to customers contributing high volumes of sales.
- Cross-sell – Create a web push/ client app push notification to suggest a wide range of offerings, which facilitate the cross-sales for other products.
- Remind favorite items – Send push notification to browser or any device to check if users are still interested in their favored items.
- Stay updated with new arrivals – Inform the audience whenever there are new arrivals in your store. This is undoubtedly a must-take action when launching new products or promotions.
The Closing Line
The competition in eCommerce has been more fierce than ever; online businesses thus need more tactics to reach out and better engage with their target audience.
Push notifications are then one of those tactics that help you create your own success stories, which can be a tremendous help to embellish the overall picture of the business performance. And as you now have the full answer to “What are push notifications?”, make sure to create ones that your audience really wants to hear from.